Early Modern

My first artwork for my early modern blog is "Epidemic"(1900-1901) by Alfred Kubin.

First and foremost, I would absolutely not own Epidemic. This piece of art is creepy as hell and I would not want to see it while walking around my home. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool drawing but the creep factor is not doing it any favors in the ownability aspect. Much of this piece is unexceptional and wouldn't draw attention, but then there's an oddly proportioned bone colossus taking up a majority of the frame spreading what I can only assume to be death and disease(given the title) to the houses below. This drawing is closely connected to scientific innovation through the discovery of diseases and viruses. Germ theory had not become popular until the late 1800s, shortly before this piece was drawn, and I believe it derives a lot of inspiration from the then-recently popularized theory.
My second artwork is "Black Square"(1915) by Kazimir Malevich. I do not like this "painting". To call it art feels like an insult. A lobotomized koala with a crayon could create something with more meaning then this, genuinely. Like Epidemic, I would not own this painting, however I still think Epidemic is really cool and is worthy of recognition. In my opinion, art that is meant for everyone or wide audience to see should convey meaning and emotion through the art itself, not the background of the artist. It should have substance without connection. The only sense in which this painting is meaningful is because it is a "desperate attempt to free art from the ballast of objectivity". Malevich states that the achieving nonobjective art is rewarding, and I completely disagree. Malevich's art is about as rewarding to look at as stepping on legos. The only emotion I feel when looking at Black Square is disappointment that a member of the human race can be so pretentious as to think that this is art. It looks like nothing more than overdeveloped photographic paper. I genuinely thought I had uploaded the wrong file because I had to develop photos in a chemistry lab a few weeks back and it looked identical to that. The only praise I can give the artist is that he managed to get me so upset over the existence of a waste of paint and the fact that anyone would defend it.

Obelisk "Art from the 1900s" Feb 28th 2021

Sothebys "Alfred Kubin | Epidemie" Sep 26th 2020

National Institute of Health "A theory of germs - Science, Medicine, and Animals" Feb 23 2018

Design Manifestos "Kazimir Malevich: The Manifesto of Suprematism" Apr 14 2021

Wikimedia Foundation "Russian Museum" May 27 2005

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First/Test blog

Baroque

Classical Blog